29.8.15

BAKED PARMESAN POTATOES

We were serious potato eaters, but my favorite uncle would pass the potato bowl saying it hurt his legs. He also said I will be able to whistle if I eat all my carrots. When you are four years old whistling is a coveted skill. After I left Hungary I only saw him a few times. He was a great guy, always full of fun... and he always had time for me.

He was the happy guy on the right 

Russets would have given a different flavour and texture, but I prefer the reds for other reasons, they won’t turn to mush and the skins are nice all year around and potato skins are so good for you because they contain potassium. The red onions are milder; they keep their shape, and don’t disintegrate like white onions. To get the lacy parmesan bits, the cheese has to be shredded or sliced into bits, not grated. The one photo I made of it is of poor quality and I intend to replace it one of these days when the weather turns and a homey plate of roasted potatoes can be enjoyed  by the fire again. Food has its purpose beyond sustenance.  

BAKED PARMESAN POTATOES
6 red potatoes with the skin, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 red onion, sliced
thyme, oregano, savory, marjoram, basil, sage and rosemary
extra virgin olive oil
salt to taste
1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese

  • Preheat the oven 375F.
  • Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Place potatoes in a large bowl.
  • Add the chopped pepper and the sliced onions and toss.
  • Lightly sprinkle with all or some of the suggested herbs.
  • Drizzle with olive oil and toss to coat.
  • Sprinkle with salt to taste.
  • Add the shredded cheese and toss.
  • Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking sheet.
  • Bake for 25 minutes or until the potatoes are, fork tender and golden. 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!