22.7.12

CREAMED BROCCOLI

When was the last time you licked broccoli off your blender? Because… I did before I put the blender jar into the dishwasher…This recipe is an adaptation of an adaptation from Gourmet Magazine. Looks like baby food, but in fact, this is a tasty adult dish.  The original seasoning would have been too strong for my tastes. I don’t cook my vegetables to the death but I would have had to in order to mash the broccoli bits with a potato masher as the original recipe suggested. Besides, it would have still looked like a dog’s breakfast. Therefore, I emphasize using a blender, 3/4 cup of cream and not reducing it. The parmesan has to be freshly grated and the amount suggested is not enough, I used about 1/3 cup plus. Fresh lemon juice is necessity, do not use bottled lemon juice, it would spoil the taste. As a side dish, the recipe makes 4-5 lovely servings.

CREAMED BROCCOLI
4 cups diced broccoli
3/4 cup heavy cream
3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
2 pinch grated nutmeg
1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp freshly grated parmesan
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

• Wash the broccoli thoroughly.
• Peel the stems, and then finely chop the stems and the florets.
• Cook the broccoli in boiling salted water, until just tender, it will have an intense green colour.
• Drain in a colander and run under cold water to stop cooking.
• Bring to the boil cream, garlic and nutmeg.
• Simmer for 1 minute.
• Add broccoli and remove from heat.
• Puree in several batches in a blender.
• Place in a heatproof serving dish.
• Add 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese and the lemon juice.
• Stir to combine and heat up in the microwave.
• Sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan cheese and serve.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!