27.12.11

TARTIFLETTE

A Potato, Cheese And Bacon Gratin

I was dreaming about this dish ever since I saw it on With A Glass last month. Then I finally made it a couple of weeks ago. What can I say except holy noodle, it was good! I could not get reblochon cheese, so I used a large package of brie. 

I decided to add less wine and to replace the cream with the crème fraiche I made last night. The one thing to keep in mind is to use white wine. The second tartiflette I made with a rose, but I did not like the colour it had. Use only white wine and use it sparingly. The reblochon is not quite as soft as the brie and to compensate I combined brie with some Asiatic shredded cheese. I used a large brie but you can use a small one just increase the Asiatic cheese. Do not slice the brie ahead of time. It will stick and you will have a hard time separating the pieces. I adjusted the original recipe to reflect all the changes and I must say it turned out to be a rather good tartiflette! 

TARTIFLETTE
1-1/4 kg red potatoes
4 strips of thick bacon, chopped
1 medium onion, sliced
salt, pepper
1 cup Asiatic cheese, shredded
Large plain brie with rind included, sliced [350 g]
1/8 cup dry white wine
1-1/2 cups crème fraiche

• Peel and slice the potatoes.
• Transfer potatoes to a pot.
• Pour boiling water over the potatoes. This is important, because starting to cook the potatoes in cold water will leach out their flavour into the water.
• Cook the potatoes al dente.
• Drain the potatoes and let them cool down until you can handle them.
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Chop the bacon and cook them in a non-stick fry pan on medium heat.
• Meanwhile chop the onion and add to the bacon in the pan.
• Fry them together until the bacon is a bit crunchy and the onion has softened.
• Spray an ovenproof casserole dish with cooking spray.
• Add a layer of sliced potatoes and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Arrange the mixture of bacon and onion over the potato layer.
• Place the remaining potatoes on the top.
• Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Add the wine distributing it all over the dish.
• Scatter the Asiatic cheese on the top.
• Pour the crème fraiche over the entire dish.
• Slice the brie with the rind.
• Arrange the brie with the rind side on the top.
• Place in a preheated 350F oven and cover with foil.
• Bake for 30-40 minutes.
• Remove the foil and bake until potatoes are soft and the liquids are all absorbed.
• Before serving let the dish rest for 10 minutes.
• Serve tartiflette with a green salad.














Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!