21.9.17

CARAMEL MUESLI BARS

I made several no bake muesli bars from a box of cereal. The main difference between muesli and granola is that muesli is made from uncooked mixture of grains. Granola is baked or roasted. But first things first, I picked out the raisins. The two ladies I made them for loathe raisins. It also had some tiny cornflakes in it but I thought those would only add crunch interest to the bars. All right I will develop a nice muesli mixture on my own... eventually. But for now Kellogg’s will do. I began every recipe with 2 cups of the raisin free muesli. I only added chopped, toasted almonds, but the possibilities could be endless using other nuts, seeds and dried fruits. The next step was what to put into the mixture that would bind it together without the stuff they don’t fancy, such as mashed up dates or honey. The muesli may have had some of those already, but I won’t tell. Personally I didn’t want the bars to become overly sweet. This was my first muesli bar and it turned out absolutely delicious! 

CARAMEL MUESLI BARS
2 cups good quality muesli
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
1/8 cup butter
1/4 cup real maple syrup
10 caramels
2 sprinkles of salt
1/4 cup heavy cream

  • Line an 8×8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
  • Place the muesli and the toasted almonds in a large bowl.
  • Place the butter, maple syrup, 10 caramels, and the salt in a double boiler until the caramels melt. Stir in the heavy cream.
  • Pour the melted caramel mixture over the muesli mixture and stir to coat.
  • Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press into an even, compact layer. If it’s too hot for your hands, place a square of parchment paper on top, it will be easier to press it in place.
  • Keep an eye on it, this will firm up quite rapidly and you may want to cut it into bars before the bar fully hardens.
  • Layer the bars between parchment paper. Keeps for 1 week in fridge and 2 months in  freezer. 

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!