9.7.12

POACHED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE

This is a quick dish, so start on the side dishes early. Fresh dill is better of course, but this dish will still be tasty if made with dried dill. I am not a fan of seafood, salmon, trout and halibut is pretty much what I willing to eat from the water, but even I enjoyed a small piece of this wild sockeye tonight. It was a hot day and I wanted minimal cooking so the choice fell on a fish recipe from my 2000 edition of Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook. The sauce also called for an egg yolk, but I felt it would have been a superfluous addition. So in the end, it is even lower in fat than the original. I forgot to measure out the fish stock, so I am not sure if I used less than or more than 1 cup for the sauce. Sometimes I fall back on my intuition and fail in accuracy.

POACHED SALMON WITH DILL SAUCE
2-4 servings of dressed salmon
4 thick slices of fresh lemon
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp butter
4 Tbsp flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 bunch of fresh dill weed or 1 Tbsp dried

• Rinse salmon and pat dry with paper towels.
• Place the lemon slices, bay leaf in a large skillet.
• Place the salmon with skin down on top of the lemon slices.
• Add enough water to come halfway up to the salmon.
• Sprinkle with salt.
• Bring to a steady simmer and cover the pan.
• Salmon cooks rather fast, so keep an eye on it.
• Aim for slightly undercooked fish. With a fork, gently pry open the thickest part of the fish. If you see a little bit of pink, but most of the fish is cooked through, remove skillet from heat.
• Quickly pour off about a cup of liquid into a small bowl and set it aside.
• Replace the lid; and set the fry pan aside. The salmon will cook through from the residual heat from the pan.
• Next, make the dill sauce.
• In a separate medium sized skillet, melt the butter and stir in the flour.
• Add the sugar and the dill weed.
• Pour in the reserved salmon broth and mix to combine.
• Bring to a slow boil and adjust the salt.
• Remove dill sauce from heat.
• With a large slotted spoon, gently move the salmon pieces onto plates or to a serving platter.
• Pour the dill sauce on the top and serve immediately.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!