26.3.12

LENTIL SOUP – LENCSELEVES

In Hungary lentil soup is served on the first day to ensure prosperity for the coming year. I never followed this tradition and lentil soup is just another soup I make whenever I think of it. I am not sure where the soaking of lentils came from, to me it never made sense to soak lentils, when in less then 30 minutes of cooking the lentils fall apart anyway.

LENTIL SOUP
1/2 cup green lentils
6 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1 Bavarian sausage, thinly sliced
1 sprig of parsley
1/4 cup diced onions
1 garlic clove, minced
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp flour
1 tsp Hungarian paprika
sour cream

• Wash the lentils and drain.
• Place 6 cups of chicken stock, the lentils and the bay leaf in a medium dutch pot and slowly simmer for twenty minutes.
• Add the carrots, the sausage and the parsley and continue slow simmer.
• Dice the onions and mince the garlic.
• Heat 2 Tbsp of olive oil in a non-stick fry pan.
• Add the onions and sauté on medium heat until translucent.
• Add the garlic and stir in the flour.
• Remove from heat and stir in the paprika.
• Add the onion mixture to the soup and slowly cook for five minutes.
• Serve with sour cream.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!