23.9.11

FREEZING TOMATOES

No need to cook them, peel them or anything. Freezing tomatoes is the absolute easiest thing to do. I took a few pictures after harvesting this batch, I wasn’t sure why at the time, but after talking to my friend who spent the afternoon cooking and peeling tomatoes for her freezer yesterday, I decided to write this up.

FREEZING TOMATOES
tomatoes
zyplock bags

• Select healthy, firm tomatoes of any type or size.
• Wash them and drain them.
• Lay them on a clean kitchen towel to dry off all the water droplets.
• When the tomatoes are completely dry, pack them into zyploc bags and freeze.

When you make soup, stew, or anything that requires tomatoes in a sauce, unzip the bag and take out a frozen tomato. Hold the tomato under warm running tap water for a few seconds. Rub it between your hands and the skin will just come off. Now drop the tomato into the pot. It’s that easy. For making lecsó, I lay the skinned tomatoes on a plate and partially thaw them before chopping them up.

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!