14.7.12

SPINACH LASAGNA

This one is my own recipe. I came up with it many years ago after we had something similar at a catered wedding reception. I looked for the recipe for years, but never found anything closely resembling it. The original dish had mixed vegetables in the cheese sauce, and yes, it was delicious. I tried duplicating it with varying success, and then one day it dawned on me to try it with spinach. I have been making it this way ever since. Back in 1997, I filled an enormous pan with it for my oldest daughter’s garden wedding. I made my own pasta for it and the amount of cheese I used was incredible. A lucky neighbour had to finish baking it; their oven must have been on for hours.

This is indeed a rich and wonderful dish. I don’t make it often, a lower fat version was up on my blog for a couple of years. I am taking it off now, because there are things that should be left alone. That or have an apple.

SPINACH LASAGNA
Cheese Sauce:
1/3 cup flour
1-3/4 cups milk
cup milk
4 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese, grated
Spinach Layer:
1/2 pkg. spinach
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg
salt and pepper to taste
Pasta:
1 batch homemade pasta uncut in sheets
or 10 to 12 lasagna noodles depending on the shape of your dish
Topping:
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated

• Combine 1/3 cup of flour with 1 cup milk.
• In a large skillet melt 4 Tbsp butter. Add the flour-milk mixture to the pan and stir in the remaining milk.
• Cook on low heat, stirring continuously, until the sauce thickens.
• If lumpy, force through a sieve.
• Season sauce with salt and pepper and add a pinch of grated nutmeg.
• Stir in the grated mozzarella cheese.
• When the mozzarella melts, add the Parmesan cheese and set it aside.
• Cook the spinach, and drain.
• Squeeze out all the spinach juice, and chop finely.
• Place the finely chopped spinach, ricotta cheese, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl
• Combine well.
• Preheat the oven to 350F.
• Cook the lasagna noodles in a large pot of rapidly boiling salted water.
• Cook until tender.
• Drain and plunge cooked pasta into a pot of ice-cold water, with 1Tbsp of oil.
• Keep the noodles here until assembly.
• Oil a large square casserole dish.
• Spoon a bit of cheese sauce into the dish.
• Place a layer of lasagna pasta in the dish.
• Spread the spinach mixture on the pasta.
• Place a layer of pasta on the top.
• Spread half of the cheese sauce on the top.
• Cover with the remaining pasta.
• Top with the remaining cheese sauce.
• Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese.
• Bake the lasagne at 350F until the cheeses bubbles, and the top is golden brown.
• Remove from heat, cover and let the lasagna settle for 15 minutes before serving.




homemade pasta 

or commercial lasagna noodles

Privacy & Cookies

This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this website, you agree to their use. To find out more, including how to control cookies, see here: Cookie Policy

Translate

me

My photo
It began with posting a few recipes on line for the family. "zsuzsa is in the kitchen" has more than 1000 Hungarian and International recipes. What started out as a private project turned into a well visited blog. The number of visitors long passed the two million mark. I organized the recipes into an on-line cookbook. On top of the page click on "ZSUZSA'S COOKBOOK". From there click on any of the chapters to access the recipes. For the archive just scroll to the bottom of the page. I am not profiting from my blog, so visitors are not harassed with advertising or flashy gadgets. The recipes are not broken up with photos at every step. Where needed the photos are placed following the recipe. Feel free to cut and paste my recipes for your own use. Publication is permitted as long as it is in your own words and with your own photographs. However, I would ask you for an acknowledgement and link-back to my blog. Happy cooking!